Powersystems update on the Leeds General Infirmary Generating Station Complex (GSC) HV Switchgear replacement project – the first phase has now been energised.
To meet the increasing electrical load requirements of Leeds Royal Infirmary Powersystems successfully secured a £1.2m contract with ENGIE to replace the HV switchgear against strong local competition.
The added complexity of replacing the existing HV switchboard and NER in 4 phases within the existing HV Switchroom, showcases Powersystems technical ability. Our reputation for exceeding expectations on technical know-how, quality and safety being the major contributor to our success.
Whilst ENGIE Services Ltd responsible for the wider contract to replace and upgrade the generation and HV/LV infrastructure feeding Leeds General Infirmary buildings, Powersystems scope was to deliver the following:
- Design, supply, install and commission a new 17 Panel 11 kV Switchboard, including all protection relays and system interfacing
- Remove an existing 18 panel 11kV, double busbar switchboard
- Carry out temporary diversions and connections on new and existing HV cabling to ensure the continued operation of the generating station complex
- Carry out scheduled cable changeovers from existing to new HV equipment
- Supply and install a new Neutral Earthing Resistor Panel (NER) within the HV Switchroom, including all HV, earthing and control cabling
- Supply and install all control cabling between the new HV switchboard and local HMI/DCS panels
- Configure and commission relays for all Incomers, generator feeders and transformer feeders
- Use in house expertise to configure and commission relays to use the new communications protocol IEC 61850 allowing for remote circuit breaker operation and relay monitoring through HMI and DCS.
- Supply and install 2 new 1500 kVA, 11,000/415 V KNAN transformers as well as associated LV AWA single core cabling to the main LV panels.
- Design, supply, install and commission a new 110V DC battery charger supplying the HV switchboard, NER Panel, NER control panel and LV panels within the GSC
- Install cable containment throughout the GSC for new and existing HV/LV cable
- Provide all operation and maintenance manuals as well as onsite training for the operations staff
Powersystems have successfully worked throughout the delivery phases with our client and their sub-contractors, reinforcing our reputation for technical competency, flexibility and commercial integrity.
This has subsequently led to our client inviting us to tender a number of further complex HV equipment replacement projects across the UK.
The image attached shows Powersystems, Project Engineer Darren Sampson carrying out final commissioning checks on the new section of 11 kV switchgear Powersystems have installed as the first phase of our client ENGIE’s project to replace the existing 18 panel 11 kV double busbar switchboard at Leeds General Infirmary Generation Complex.
Notes to Editors:
- This article is written by Jules Daly, Marketing and Communications Manager at Powersystems UK.
- Email email@example.com Telephone 01454 318000
- Photography Copyright please credit all images used to powersystemsuk.co.uk
Powersystems are powering the transition to a carbon free future
As a high voltage specialist electrical engineering company with over 45 years (1977-2022) experience Powersystems have grown by reputation to become a trusted force in the design, installation and commissioning of electrical infrastructure across the UK.
Celebrating 25 years as the first Lloyds National Electricity Registration Scheme ‘s accredited Independent Connection Provider (ICP), Powersystems are capable of delivering contestable grid connections at voltages up to 132 kV.
Since 2000, Powersystems have connected over 6 Gigawatts of renewable energy generation to the UK electricity grid, along with decarbonisation technology which includes; wind energy projects, solar, anaerobic digestion, hydroelectric, electrical vehicle infrastructure, short term operating reserve STOR, combined heat and power (CHP), Grid stability projects like rotating stabilisers, and battery energy storage systems (BESS) as well as commercial industrial private wire networks.
Working with partners, delivering sustainable power solutions, proudly the Powersystems high voltage specialist team have connected 27% of all U.K. onshore wind farm
At the core of the operation is a commitment to the highest values of health and safety, welfare, quality and the environment. Powersystems Integrated management systems are ISO accredited and their approach under their health and safety ‘Priority No.1’ brand is to aim for the best industry practice in all.
Powersystems UK Ltd. is an Employee-Owned Business and as such has a keen interest in the well-being of all its employees. They encourage and empower you to be imaginative, share great ideas and be involved in the success of the business.
Speak to Powersystems today
You can contact us as follows