Powersystems History – A timeline from 1977
PSUK first storage unit in Chipping Sodbury.
- Powersystems founded by Mike Wilsmore and Derek Earby both having previously worked for the Midlands Electricity Board as specialist engineers.
Furnace at Lister Petter
- Lister Petter HV electrical infrastructure for new foundry & casting lines.
Stuart Wilsmore at work in the new offices.
- Moved and expanded to new premises in Thornbury.
LV switchboard replacement at British Aerospace.
Generator at Brogborough Landfill site.
- 1987 – Ground power supplies installed for F1-11 /A320 Airbus.
- 1989 – 11kV site infrastructure installation at Ford, Bridgend.
- 1991 – Brogborough Landfill site completed. First commercial landfill generation site.
- 1992 – Start work at Bristol Port Company – a relationship that still continues today.
Llyn Brianne dam, spillway & hydro-electric scheme
- 1992 – Glenridding, Ffestiniog, Barton Lock & Llyn Brianne hydro-electric schemes installed.
- 1993 – Powersystems achieves ISO 9002 Quality accreditation.
- 1993 – Powersystems first involvement in wind power at Goonhilly Windfarm, Cornwall.1994 – New high voltage factory infrastructure for British American Tobacco, Southampton.
Founding members Mike Wilsmore (left) & Derek Earby (right)
- 1995 – New factory high voltage infrastructure for Cromptons Paper Mill, Lydney.
- 1996 – Major 11kV switchboard changes carried out for Rolls Royce.
- 1997 – 20 years on, Powersystems moves to a larger office and warehouse in Yate and celebrates being awarded the Electrical Times Faraday Award.
Stangate Landfill 132/33kV transformer
- 1997 – Registered as the first Independent Connection Provider (ICP) with Lloyds Register under the NERS scheme.
- 1997 – First 132kV contestable grid connection completed in the UK by an ICP to Stangate Landfill.
- 1997-2002 – Generator upgrades at 12 BT trunk exchanges, including BT Tower.
Electrical Industry Environmental Award
- 1995-2002 – Over 50 Combined Heat & Power installations for Nedalo, including swimming pools, hotels, RAF bases, universities & horticultural greenhouses.
- 1998 – Powersystems win the Electrical Industry Environmental Award.
HiTec Rotary UPS
- 1997 – Over the next 17 years more than 25 rotary UPS installations carried out for HiTec, including Merrill Lynch, City Bank, RBS, HBOS and RBM Amro Bank.
- 2002 – 11kV infrastructure installation for new Met Office, Exeter.
- 2002 – First adopted 33/11kV primary substation in UK constructed for Addenbrookes NHS trust and adopted by UKPN.2002 – Over the following 10 years more than 75 turnkey landfill gas generation sites constructed for waste recycling group, Biffa,
- Virador and Shanks & McEwan.
Melbury Dairies AD Plant – one of many generation schemes installed by Powersystems
- 2003 – Work starts with UK based Formula 1 teams.
- 2004 – Tir Mostyn windfarm, 33kV grid connection & infrastructure.
- 2005 – ICP provider for Npower installing grid connections over the next 4 years more than 80 sites including Wembley development, Knowsley Schools, PFI, Chevron Fuels.
- 2006 – Stuart Wilsmore takes over as Managing Director.
Aikengall Windfarm, Scotland
- Dstatcom installation at Aikengall Windfarm for S&C Electric to achieve grid code compliance.
Warner Bros Studios substation
- 33/11kV primary substation & infrastructure, built for Warner Bros Studios & Harry Potter visitor attraction.
- 2010 – Installation of high voltage infrastructure including 25 grid connections to more than 100 windfarms over the next 7 years.
- 2011 – Accredited under18001:2007 Occupational Health & Safety Standard.
- 2011 – First 5MW field based solar generation project connected at 33kV.
Newly renovated Yate offices
- 2012 – First Gas to Grid anaerobic digestion project for Duchy of Cornwall.
- 2015 – Offices in Yate expanded and modernised to include meeting rooms, training rooms and fully equipped gym.
Pen Y Cymoedd Windfarm, Wales
- 2016 – Milestone of 3GW of wind generation infrastructure installed.
- 2017 – Pen Y Cymoedd Windfarm completed our largest windfarm to date – 76 turbines producing 228MW.
Derek Earby, Barbara Wilsmore, Stuart Wilsmore celebrate 40 years of success
- 2017 – Powersystems celebrate 40 years in operation.
- 2017 – Accredited under quality & environmental standards ISO 9001:2015 & ISO 14001:2015
- Electric vehicle charging infrastructure installed for Millbrook Vehicle Proving Ground.